Since 1953, an impressive Gothic-Revival chapel built 1891-4, has served as the Library's main reading room. The Library's bookstacks and the Gulbenkian reading room (a cosy, and quiet 24-hour-access study space) may be found on the floor below.
The Library aims to provide core teaching materials for courses taken by College members, and maintain historic strengths. Collections on international relations, development studies, modern history, politics, economics, and area studies are especially strong. Members are welcome to recommend new titles for purchase.
In total, the Library holds over 50,000 books, as well as a small collection of archival materials relating to twentieth-century Europe (of particular importance being those of Sir John Wheeler-Bennett). Furthermore, the Library subscribes to a selection of journals, keeps backissues of over 300 other journal titles, and contains a computer terminal from which readers may consult the University’s integrated library catalogue (SOLO) and its rich collection of e-journals, e-books, electronic reference works, and databases.
Current members may find more information on WebLearn (the University’s virtual learning environment).