Academic dress

Academic dress

Academic dress is required for matriculation, exams (if applicable) and graduation, and occasionally other formal University events. 

Academic dress suppliers What to wear for
matriculation and exams
What to wear for

Academic dress suppliers

Students can buy or hire any part of the academic dress, although they often buy a graduate gown, headwear and neckwear as these will be needed more than once. Gown suppliers often have special offers at the start of the academic year where gowns, headwear and neckwear are available at a reduced price.

The College does not recommend a particular supplier but the following are well-known in Oxford:

Shepherd and Woodward on the High Street

Walters of Oxford on Turl Street

Varsity Shop on Broad Street

Matriculation and Exams

Our Matriculation page gives you more information about this ceremony that all graduate students must complete.

For matriculation and exams the following must be worn:

  1. Graduate gown 
  2. Headwear
  3. Sub-fusc (consisting of five elements) 

If you a serving member of HM Forces, you are permitted to wear your uniform instead of sub-fusc.


Details about graduation ceremonies and how to book can be found on our graduation webpage

In addition to the three parts to academic dress as described above, students must also bring to graduation ceremonies the gown and hood (or just gown for DPhil students) of the degree being conferred. Graduands have two gowns as they change into the gown befitting their new Oxford status as part of the ceremony.