Tell us what you think
Tell us what you think
The College periodically surveys students about our services and support. This page summarises the main areas of feedback we receive and explains how the College is listening to and acting on students' views.
We currently use two surveys: an end of year student satisfaction survey for all students who have been enrolled during the academic year just completed, and a survey at the end of Michaelmas term for new students. The surveys are designed to complement other surveys e.g. the University-wide Student Barometer and feedback provided to Departments, and not to duplicate or over-ask students for information.
2016-17 Student Satisfaction Survey
This survey was sent in June 2017 to all current or recently completed students. Questions covered pre-arrival interactions with the College, arrivals, and first few weeks, views on College facilities and support, funding and the academic environment. The response rate was 20%. The feedback has been carefully analysed by the College support teams. See here for a summary of the feedback response.
Michaelmas Term 2016 New Students' Survey
This survey was sent in December 2016 to all students who began their course in Michaelmas Term 2016. The response rate was 49%. See here for a summary of the feedback response. As in previous years, questions were about new students' pre-arrival and arrival experience and focussed on areas where previous feedback had been less positive, or where the College/GCR Executive had tried something new.
2015-16 Student Satisfaction Survey
The annual survey was sent to all current or recently completed students in June 2016. The response rate was 41%. See here for a summary of the feedback response.
Michaelmas Term 2015 New Students' Survey
This survey was sent in December 2015 to all students who began their course in Michaelmas Term 2015. The response rate was 69.7%. See here for a summary of the feedback response.
2014-15 Student Satisfaction Survey
The annual survey was sent to all current or recently completed students in June 2015. The response rate was 27%. See here for a summary of the feedback response
Michaelmas Term 2014 New Students' Survey
This survey was sent to all new students who started their course in Michaelmas term 2014. The response rate was 27%. See here for a summry of the feedback response
2013-14 Student Satisfaction Survey
This annual survey was sent to 467 current or recently completed students in June 2014. The response rate was 28%. See here for a summary of the feedback response.
Michaelmas Term 2013 New Students' Survey
This survey was sent to 218 students who started their course in Michaelmas term 2013. It was completed by 99 people; making this year’s response rate of 45% more than double the response rate of the previous year. Questions were about your pre-arrival and arrival experience and focussed on areas where feedback had been less positive in the year before, or where the College/GCR Executive had tried something new for Welcome Week 2013.
Most of the feedback you gave us was very positive. For example, 80% of respondents found the summer email newsletters helpful/extremely helpful and 82% found the temporary overdraft on their University card (to eat in Hall) was helpful/extremely helpful. In these cases, we will plan to continue offering similar provision to future cohorts. In areas where your feedback was more mixed, the GCR Executive and the College’s Senior Administrative Officers have agreed to make the following changes:
Information provided before arrival
- Include more information on academic dress.
- Clarify that there are different inductions for e.g. College, department, international students.
- Aim to add more photos of accommodation.
- The accommodation webpage has already been updated with information about the number and type of rooms in each building.
- A new webpage for all students about how/when to pay fees etc will be added.
Arrival in College
New students will be asked when they plan to arrive so we can schedule staff/student helpers to be available at times other than the Arrival Weekend. Add to Arrival Essentials Pack a note about laundry services and a map of Oxford.
Welcome Week events
Some College Registration sessions will be held before Welcome Week to allow for students who arrive earlier e.g. due to International Orientation. A representative of the GCR Executive will aim to attend each College Registration to help students get to know more about who is on the Exec and what it does. We will review the format of the Health & Welfare Fest and the GCR will review the Academic Morning with a view to continuing both but trying to make them more useful. More clubs and societies will be encouraged to attend Clubs & Societies Nights; Area Studies societies will be invited.
More explanation will be given about why the College allocates Advisers in a different academic department.
2012-13 Student Satisfaction Survey
This annual survey was sent to 467 current or recently completed students in June 2013, and was open for a month. The response rate was even higher than the previous year at 48%. Questions covered your pre-arrival interactions with the College, your arrival and first few weeks, your views on College facilities and support, funding and the academic environment.
The two winners of the £25 Amazon gift certificate random draw were Salvator Cusimano and Servet Erdem.
Your feedback has been carefully analysed by the College support teams, GCR Executive and our responses reviewed and approved by the Management Executive Team. At the bottom of this page you can find a summary of the feedback as well as the follow up actions we plan to take.
Michaelmas Term 2012 New Students’ Survey
This survey ran for the first time in November/December 2012. It was sent to 187 students who started their course in Michaelmas term, and was completed by 28%. Thank you very much to everyone who completed the survey. The survey focussed on the experiences of our new students, from pre-arrival communications, to the arrival experience and the settling in period.
The survey results have been reviewed by specific College officers (e.g. the Domestic Bursar for accommodation feedback), the GCR Executive, Senior Administrative Officers group and – for the 2011/12 Student Satisfaction Survey – the Management Executive Team, the body which reports to Governing Body.
Based on your feedback, we plan to make the following changes:
1. Pre-arrival communication
Line managers will work with their teams to improve cover arrangements over the summer (a particularly important time for applicants) to ensure that your queries can be dealt with helpfully and promptly.
We will plan our Welcome Week events before the summer so that information can be shared with applicants sooner. We will enhance our communication with applicants by providing more regular updates and information about what to expect on arrival, activities/events etc.
2. Accommodation, food and sports facilities
The Bursar and Domestic Bursar have had initial discussions with members of the GCR Executive Committee about:
- Accommodation – consultation with the GCR regarding current and future rents on student accommodation; bringing the Gateway building into the accommodation portfolio
- Food – topics including the possibility of conducting a survey on the food provision within College; food labelling; pricing display; availability of “Dish of the Day”, etc
- Sports facilities – the arrangements agreed between the College and the GCR regarding the fitness room (gym), erg room and other facilities
Meetings are being arranged for further discussions to take place between the College and the GCR on all of these issues.
More information and photos will be added to the Accommodation webpage to help applicants complete their College accommodation application form.
We will look into the possibility of providing Hall menus on the College website
3. IT and printing
- Wi-fi access has now successfully gone live across the College which we hope will improve your IT experience.
- Printers default to black and white printing; printers are available from all PCs. The price of printing at St Antony's College is competitive with other Colleges.
- We are working on a system to incorporate payment for printing and photocopying with the University card.
- The priorities for different types of funding that you gave in the survey will be used to inform future fundraising campaigns focussing on scholarships.
- Some students wondered why our college fee is higher than at other colleges but as of 2012-13 the college fee has been harmonised so all colleges now charge the same rate.
- The Registrar’s Office will work to provide more information about the funders who support the College’s funds.
5. College Advisers
- All students (new and continuing) received a guidance note about the role of the College Adviser. Please remember that you are welcome to contact your Adviser directly if there is something you would like to discuss.
- Fellows were also sent an updated guidance note from the Senior Tutor and Registrar about being a College Adviser and new Fellows were encouraged to discuss this with the Senior Tutor.
6. Contact with Fellows
From Hilary term 2013, the Registrar’s Office will plan a Research Talk series over dinner, whereby a Fellow or possibly another College researcher would be asked to talk about the work they are currently doing. Details will be emailed to students once confirmed.
2011-12 Student Satisfaction Survey
This annual survey was sent to 415 current or recently completed students in June 2012, and was open for a month. The response rate was an impressive 41%. Questions covered your pre-arrival interactions with the College, your arrival and first few weeks, your views on College facilities and support, funding and the academic environment.
The two winners of the £25 Amazon gift certificate random draw were Miriam Bradley and Lisa Welze.
Most areas received generally positive responses with some feedback that we should be really proud of, e.g. ‘My nine months at St Antony's were simply amazing! Should I ever come to Oxford again, I would definitely apply to be at St Antony’s again… Thanks everyone for making my Oxford and Antonian experience so special!’, ‘I was simply amazed by the wealth and breadth of activities organised by the St Antony’s GCR, the late bar, and the boat club’ and ‘I was made very welcome by the staff of St Antony's.'
In these areas we would expect to consolidate good practice and look for ways to further improve.