Dr Reshmi Banerjee
Dr Reshmi Banerjee
Dr. Reshmi Banerjee is currently an Academic Visitor in the Asian Studies Centre in St Antony’s College, University of Oxford. She was previously a research associate in the Centre of Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) in SOAS, University of London where she worked on land conflicts in Myanmar and on the political economy of the Indo-Myanmar frontier. She has been a post doctoral fellow in the department of international relations in the University of Indonesia (UI) where she worked on the non-farm sector in India and China along with a special research on the political and cultural diplomacy in ASEAN-China relations. She was also a researcher in the Economic Research Center, Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI) in Jakarta where she worked on the impact of climate change in Indonesia. She was a member of the editorial board for the Indonesian Social Science Review.
Reshmi has worked as a fellow in the Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies (RGICS, New Delhi), has been a Visiting Professor in the Centre for North East Studies and Policy Research (Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi) and has taught in Delhi University and in the University of Indonesia. She is a political scientist with specialization in food security and agricultural policies and has an M.Phil and Ph.D in the subject from the Centre for Political Studies (CPS), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Her edited book ‘Climate Change in the Eastern Himalaya: Impact on Livelihoods, Growth and Poverty’ was published in February 2015.
- Presented Paper on ‘Historical and Ethnic Linkages across Borders: A study of the Mizo-Chin Frontier’, International Conference on ‘Reimagining India’s North East: Narratives, Networks and Negotiations’ held in Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi on the 4th-6th of February 2015.
b) Sent Paper on ‘Dispossession of the agrarian masses in Myanmar: Catastrophic consequences for the future’, for the Conference on ‘Land Grabbing: Perspectives from East and South-East Asia’, held in Chiang Mai University, Thailand on the 5th-6th June 2015.
c) Presented Paper on ‘Farm to Firm: Agrarian Conflicts in China and Myanmar’, Workshop on China-Myanmar Relations through a Multidisciplinary and Multidimensional Gaze, SOAS, University of London, 6th June 2014.
d) Presented Paper on ‘Assam Saga’, South East Asian Symposium, Keble College, University of Oxford, March 2014.
e) Presented Paper on ‘Women in the Land of Jade: Issues and Interventions’, International Conference on ‘The Eastern Himalayas II: Gender, Poverty and Livelihoods’ held in Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi on the 11-13th of February 2014. Paper selected for an upcoming publication.
f) Presented Paper on ‘North East India: Issues and Perspectives’, Seminar in SOAS titled ‘Ceasefire: Reflections on Community, Politics and Social Change in the Kachin region of Burma (Myanmar) 1994 to the present’, 12th of October 2013. Paper selected for an upcoming publication (to be released in 2016).
g) Presented Paper on ‘Land conflicts in North East India’, Conference on ‘Strengthening Peace and Development- Response to Insurgency in the North East’, Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies (RGICS), New Delhi, March 2013.
h) Presented Paper on ‘The Trajectory of the Non-Farm Sector in India and China’, India-China Conversations- Second Interdisciplinary Symposium for Emerging Scholars on China-India Studies, Delhi University, 2nd-3rd of November 2012.
i) Presented Paper on ‘Impact of Globalization on the Indian Rural Sector: Some facts & Emerging Issues’, International Seminar on ‘Social Integration in Plural Society State in Global Era’, Semarang State University, Semarang, Indonesia, May 2009. The article was later published in their journal- capturing the proceedings/ papers presented in the international seminar.
j) Presented Paper on ‘Food Security in India’, Symposium titled ‘Democracy, Social justice & Good Governance’, University of Indonesia (UI), Jakarta, February 2009.
- ‘Climate Change in the Eastern Himalayas: Lessons to be learnt’ in Hazarika, Sanjoy and Banerjee, Reshmi (eds), Climate Change in the Eastern Himalaya: Impact on Livelihoods, Growth and Poverty, Academic Publication, Delhi, 2015.
- ‘Agricultural Transformation and Food Security in India: Lessons for Southeast Asia’, Journal of Resources, Energy and Development, TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), New Delhi, March 2013.
- ‘Horizontal Inequality in India- an Overview’, Conference Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference of Indian Political Economy Association, Published by the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, October 2012.
- ‘Climate Change in Indonesia: A Glimpse of Riau and East Kalimantan’, Journal of Resources, Energy and Development, TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), New Delhi, September 2012.
- ‘Food Security: a challenge for the future’, Review of Indonesian Economic and Business Studies, Economic Research Centre, LIPI (Indonesian Institute of Sciences), November 2010.
- ‘Rural Development Initiatives in India: a Holistic Approach’, Indonesian Social Science Review, November 2010.
- ‘Ecological Disaster: Future Food Security in Peril’, Global Journal, University of Indonesia, 2010.
- ‘Food Security in India – Challenges Ahead’, ALARA Journal (Action Learning & Action Research Journal), Australia, Vol 15, No1, April 2009.
- ‘Democracy & Civil Society’, Political Science Journal, Lady Sriram College, 2006.
- ‘Bandung: Change through Art’, Indonesian Heritage Society, October 2010.
- ‘Yogyakarta: Artistic Paradise’, Indonesian Heritage Society, June/July 2009.