Professor Anthony Nicholls
Born on 2 February 1934, he was educated at Sutton County Grammar School (1945-53), and then held an open exhibition at Merton College, Oxford, in Modern History (MA). He obtained a B.Phil. at St Antony’s College (1959-1960). He was a College Lecturer at Merton College for a year (1960-61) before being elected to a research fellowship at St Antony’s (1961-68) In 1968 he became an Official Fellow of St Antony’s and a Special ‘non-CUF’ Lecturer at the University of Oxford. In 1976 he established, and became the Director of, the European Studies Centre at St Antony’s and organised programmes for visiting Volkswagen Fellowships for West European scholars. One of the earliest British scholars to study German history after World War II for his contribution to Anglo-German relations he was awarded the Bundesverdienstkreuz in 1994 by the German Government and in 2003 given an honorary doctorate by Munich University. In 2000 he was given the title Professor of Modern German History by Oxford University. In 2002 he was Visiting Professor at Heidelberg University, having retired from his Oxford posts in 2001. He is an Emeritus Fellow of St Antony’s.
He was given a Festschrift in 1999: Rivaltat und Partnerschaft: Studien zu den Deutsch-Britischen Beziehungen im 19 und 20. Jahrhundert. Among his other publications are: The Semblance of Peace (with John Wheeler-Bennett), 1972; Weimar and the Rise of Hitler, 1991; The Bonn Republic: West German Democracy 1945-1990, 1997; Freedom with Responsibility: The Social Market Economy in Germany 1918-1963, 2000; German Democracy and the Triumph of Hitler: Essays in recent German History (with Erich Matthias), 2001; Fifty Years of Anglo-German Relations, 2001.