Ms Yukari Akeda
Ms Yukari Akeda
Yukari Akeda lectures International Relations at Rikkyo Law School, Tokyo. She was Deputy Director of International Economy Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan by the end of July 2017. She had been at the post for three years, working on EU-Japan FTA negotiations. As a member of JP delegation, she had attended 9 formal rounds and countless inter-sessional negotiations which led to the agreement in principle in July 2017.
Prior to joining the Ministry, she was a Research Assistant Professor at Graduate School of Law, Keio University, Tokyo (2008-2011), Senior Researcher at the EU Studies Institute in Tokyo (2008-2014). She also joined a project sponsored by the JP Ministry of Education to explore the establishment of Joint Graduate School on EU Studies in Tokyo as a project manager (2008-2011). Before that, she had lectured IR and EU studies at several universities in Tokyo.
She holds an M.A. in Law from Graduate School of Law, Keio University.
Akeda’s current research interest is to combine her experience as a practical trade negotiator with her academic background on EU studies and international political economy. At St. Antony’s College, she will explore the topics such as Normative Power EU in EU-Japan FTA negotiations, EU-Japan FTA in a context of regional (Asian) and global trade governance, practical democratic control over trade negotiations in 21st century.
- ‘Manage Globalization! : Norm Oriented EU Trade Policy’, and ‘Normative Politics and EU Civil Society’, in Usui, Y., (ed), Normative Politics of European Union, Tokyo, Nakanisiya publishing house, 2016.
- ‘Civil Society Concept Meets Governance: An Implication of Civil Society Dialogues in the EU governance’, in Tanaka, T., Shoji, K. and Asami, M. (eds.), EU Governance and Policy Making, Tokyo: Keio University Press, 2009.
- ‘European Union and Global Public Policy’, in Shoji, M. and Miyawaki, N. (eds.) Global Public Policy, Kyoto: Koyo-shobo, 2009
- ‘Giant whose hands are tied: EU’s Power and Identity in the GATT/WTO Regime’, in Tanaka, T., Kokubo, Y. and Tsuruoka, M. (eds.) International Politics of the EU: The Dynamics of Internal Political Order and External Relations, Tokyo: Keio University Press, 2007.
- ‘Sustainable Trade Governance and EU-Japan EPA’, at the 10th Annual Conference of the Japan Association of Global Governance Studies, 13 May, 2017.
- ‘EU-Japan EPA negotiation after TPP Conclusion: Theoretical Possibilities and the Present Situation’, EUSI Symposium, 10 December, 2015.
- ‘EU-Japan EPA and Civil Society: Asymmetric Participation and its Implications in Bilateral and Global Dimensions’, EUSI/EESC Joint Symposium on EU-Japan Trade Relations and the FTA/EPA, at Keio University, November 26, 2014.
- ‘Global Trade rule-making and the EU: a Case study or Social Trade Agenda’, EUIJ Kansai, Spring Workshop, 27 February, 2014.
- ‘Normative Power or Normal Power? : EU Trade Strategy after Lisbon Treaty’, at the 33rd Annual Conference of the EUSA-Japan, November 11, 2012.
- ‘Japan’s Role in Shaping Asian Regionalism and EU-Asia Relations’, Keio University Global COE Programme, International Symposium on Designing Governance for Civil Society, 6 February, 2011.
- ‘Paradoxical Normative Power: Global Trade Governance and the EU’, Keio Jean-Monnet COE Research Centre for EU studies, 29 January, 2011.
- ‘Japan’s New FTA Strategy: Will It Make a Difference in EU-Asia Relations?’, EU Centre in Singapore, EU Centre/Institutes’ Roundtable on “EU-Asia Strategic Partnership- Form and Substance”, 21, 22 January, 2011.