Professor Roy Allison
Professor Roy Allison was awarded his doctorate as a student of St. Antony’s in 1983 and was an ESRC Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the college during 1983-86.
He returned to St Antony’s in 2011 as University Lecturer in the International Relations of Russia, Eastern Europe and Eurasia and became Professor of Russian and Eurasian International Relations in 2014.
He was previously Reader in International Relations at the London School of Economics. He has also held positions at the universities of Southampton and Birmingham (the Centre for Russia and East European Studies), has been a visiting scholar at Moscow State University and the Brookings Institution, was the Head of the Russia and Eurasia Programme of Chatham House (The Royal Institute of International Affairs) during 1993-2005, and a Senior Research Fellow in the Centre of International Studies, Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford, 2001-05. He has acted as Specialist Advisor to the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee and Defence Committee and the House of Lords European Union Committee. Professor Allison’s research focuses in particular on the international relations, foreign and security policies of Russia, Ukraine, Central Asia and the South Caucasus. His broader interests cover regional conflicts, regionalism, international norms and foreign policy analysis.
- Russia, the West and Military Intervention (2013)
- Putin’s Russia and the Enlarged Europe (co-author, 2006)
- Central Asian Security: The New International Context (co-editor and co-author, 2001)
- Security Dilemmas in Russia and Eurasia (co-editor and co-author, 1998)
- Internal Factors in Russian Foreign Policy (co-author, 1996)
- Challenges for the Former Soviet South (editor, 1996)
- Radical Reform in Soviet Defence Policy (editor and co-author, 1992)
- Superpower Competition and Crisis Prevention in the Third World (co-editor and co-author, 1990)
- The Soviet Union and the Strategy of Non-Alignment in the Third World (1988)
- Finland's Relations with the Soviet Union: 1944-1984 (1985)