St Antony's College Library, one of five libraries on site, occupies the former chapel, refectory and chapter house of the convent of the Society of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, in what we now call the "Old Main Building".
Since 1953, an impressive Gothic-Revival chapel built 1891-4, has served as the Library's main reading room. The Library's bookstacks and the Gulbenkian reading room may be found on the floor below.
The Library aims to provide core teaching materials for courses taken by College members, and maintain historic strengths. Collections on international relations, development studies, modern history, politics, economics, and area studies are especially strong. Members are welcome to recommend new titles for purchase.
In total, the Library holds over 50,000 books, as well as a small collection of archival materials relating to twentieth-century Europe (of particular importance being those of Sir John Wheeler-Bennett). Furthermore, the Library subscribes to a selection of journals, and keeps backissues of over 300 other journal titles. Details of most printed, published materials may be found through the University’s integrated library catalogue (SOLO) alongside a rich collection of online library resources (incl. e-journals, e-books, electronic reference works, and databases).