MECA Useful Links
MECA Useful Links
Links to resources for finding contact information for archival repositories, online catalogue networks, resources for finding archives and digitised online resouces and other heritage websites.
- Find an Archive This resource provides contact information such as addresses, web pages and opening hours for UK Repositories
- Oxford College Archives This resource provides contact information and brief descriptions of Oxford College Archives
Resources for locating Archives in the UK that provide descriptions of collections, but at varying levels of detail.
- The National Archives Discovery Discovery searches several data sets including the National Register of Archives and also Access to Archives which consists of descriptions of archives in English Repositories.
- AIM25 Archives in London and the M25 area
- Archives Hub covers University and College Repositories
- Scan Scottish Archive Network covers Scottish Repositories
- Archives Network Wales covers Welsh Repositories
- Film Archives UK
- British Universities Film and Video Council
- Colonial Film UK Catalogue of moving images of the British Empire, which includes some material for Egypt, Palestine, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Aden and Sudan. The catalogue provides a description of the material and details as to which Archive the film is held in. It also has some films available online, including a recruitment film for the Palestine Police at http://www.colonialfilm.org.uk/node/6717
- Israel Archives and Information Association (IAIA) (Hebrew website)
- Directory of UK Map Collections
- MUNDUS Gateway to Missionary Collections in the UK
- Palestine Police Source Sheet Details of the holdings at The National Archives (Kew) relating to the Palestine Police. However please note that this source sheet is part of a Wiki and therefore the information may not be accurate.
- Directory of Photographic Collections The Directory is a portal to Institutions in the UK, and provides information and contact details of publicly accessible photographic collections.
Please note that the following list is not comprehensive.
- Egypt Exploration Society This has a focus on archaeology.
- The Gulf Collection at Exeter has excellent material on the Gulf. Although the focus is on published/printed works it does has a set of Archive Editions for the Gulf and a growing collection of personal papers. Please note that Exeter is currently running a Trucial Oman Scouts Project to collect the papers and photographs of people who served in the Trucial Oman Scouts as well as recording oral history interviews.
- Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives This has much Middle East related material, see for example their Middle East Research Guide (pdf file)
- Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology
- Palestine Exploration Fund
- Pitt Rivers Museum The Pitt Rivers has extensive photographic collections relating to the Middle East. See for example the Thesiger Collection
- Imperial War Museum This has extensive papers and photographs of soldiers who served in the Middle East.
- Weston Library The Rhodes House Library Collections are now located in the Weston Library. Although the focus of the Rhodes House material is on Africa it does hold some Middle East related material, especially for the Palestine Mandate. For example they hold the Sir John Chancellor papers.
- Royal Geographical Society This has the papers and photographs of many explorers who travelled in the Middle East and it has an extensive online Picture Library
- School of Oriental and African Studies SOAS Library SOAS has extensive missionary collections.
- St Peter's College, Oxford has the Claude Hope Sutton Papers. Claude Hope Sutton served in the chaplaincy for the Church Missionary Society (CMS) at Luxor in Egypt in 1888 and then in the first half of 1889 visited the CMS missions in Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. His papers include diaries and correspondence. For further information please see the Claude Hope Sutton Papers Catalogue.
- Sudan Archive, Durham University
- Archives Direct Digitised documents from The National Archives at Kew. In the advanced search you can limit searches to 'Confidential Print - Middle East'.
- Gertrude Bell Project University of Newcastle
- British Diplomatic Oral History Programme (Churchill Archives) This contains online transcripts of oral history interviews.
- British Forces in Palestine Website dedicated to British veterans who served in Palestine.
- British Newspaper Archive This contains over 3 million fully searchable pages, featuring more than 200 newspaper titles from the UK and Ireland that have been digitised by the British Library.
- 55 Field Surgical Team RAMC Website chronicling some of the activities of the 55 Field Surgical Team in Oman, as well as the experiences of others who served in Dhofar in the 1970s.
- Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS) Available from the University of Wisconsin. FRUS is an official historical record of major U.S. foreign policy decisions which have been declassified and edited for publication.
- General John Graham Interview relating to the 1970 coup in Oman.
- Harold Hindle James Digitised papers relating to Harold Hindle James' life and service in Egypt 1920s-1960s including a typescript account of James's visit to Saudi Arabia, March 1937, as a guest of H.E. Sheik Hafiz Wahba, Saudi Arabian Minister in London.
- Historical Palestinian Newspaper Collection Early Palestinian Newspapers Collection at Givat Haviva - Peace Library, contains some online copies of Falastin.
- King-Crane Commission Digitised online records from the King-Crane Commission, which gathered information on the wishes of the peoples living in former Ottoman territories in the Middle East in the summer of 1919.
- T.E. Lawrence Studies Project to make T.E. Lawrence's writings available online
- Levantine Heritage History and information about the Levantine community, discussion forum and meeting point for descendants
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs An online searchable database of images, which contains many images from the Middle East.
- New York Public Library Digital Collections The search term Middle East will reveal many illustrations from books, as well as photographs of the Holy Land, Lebanon and Jordan.
- Hugh Nicklin Adventures in Trucial Oman Scouts Website with photos and chapters of a forthcoming book on the Trucial Oman Scouts by Hugh Nicklin who served in the Trucial Oman Scouts.
- Nomads In Oman An online resource for the study of nomadic life in Oman.
- Palestine Police Old Comrades Association
- Palestine Post 1932-1950. This is a digitised version of the newspaper which is searchable.
- Palestine Poster Project Archives Website with a large online collection of Palestine posters from 1897 onwards.
- The British Mandate of Palestine webpage with links to short articles by people who served at the end of the mandate as well a listing of books on the British Mandate.
- A Palestinian Adventure The diaries of Ronald Baldwin, British Constable in the Palestine Police Force from 1946 to the termination of the British Mandate in 1948 presented as blog entries.
- The Middle East 1916 - 2001: A Documentary Record. The is part of The Avalon Project at Yale Law School and includes documents such as the Sykes-Picot Agreement, the Balfour Declaration, the Palestine Mandate and UN Security Council Resolutions.
- President Gamal Abd El Nasser Documents, photographs and audio visual material relating to President Nasser.
- Travelers in the Middle East Archive The Travelers in the Middle East Archive (TIMEA) is a digital archive that focuses on Western interactions with the Middle East, particularly travels to Egypt during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It includes travel guides, travel narratives, photographs and drawings as well as historical maps.
- 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment Palestine 1945-1948 Includes photographs and information relating to reunions of veterans.
Back to MEC Archive Home Page