College Accommodation


We hope that our students will enjoy living in St Antony’s community. Compliance with the following regulations, set down by Governing Body, will ensure a pleasant and harmonious accommodation atmosphere for all College members.

Students should treat all College property (particularly their accommodation), College staff, and their fellow College Members, with respect and consideration. We hope that students will take pride in their College, respect their surroundings and keep all areas tidy and litter-free.

Cleaning and Laundry facilities

All College accommodation is provided with a cleaning service through the deployment of Scouts (members of staff with responsibility for cleaning the study bedrooms, kitchen areas and circulation spaces). In the kitchens, however, Scouts are not responsible for washing up crockery, cutlery, pots and pans, etc. This is the responsibility of residents, who are expected to develop a mutually cooperative relationship with the Scouts.

Laundry facilities (washers and driers) are provided by an external company in the following locations:

You will need to download the Circuit mobile app in order to pay for the use of washing machines.

If any machines break down at any time, it should be reported as soon as possible to the Duty Porter in the Lodge, who will contact the operating company in order that the repair is carried out as quickly as possible. This may not be until the following day as a 24-hour service is not available.

Please note that College Maintenance staff are not responsible for the upkeep or repair of the machines, and the College is not responsible for refunding money which may be lost as a result of machine malfunction, although the Porters will report the details of any such losses to the operating company who will usually arrange a credit.

Maintenance issues

It is important that maintenance issues are dealt with as quickly as possible in order to prevent deterioration of the furnishings, fixtures and fittings of the College buildings.

Students should report any maintenance issues discovered anywhere on the campus as soon as possible  on the college site:

Any emails following up maintenance requests should be sent to:

Thanks to a generous donation from the Antonian fund, an assortment of bicycle tools are available at the Porters’ Lodge. These can be taken out in exchange for a University Card from the Porters. These tools allow students to carry out most bike maintenance on their own.

Safety and security

All members of College have a responsibility for health and safety, and should not engage in any activity that would endanger their own safety, or that of other users of the College. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that fire doors are closed when not being passed through; that fire extinguishing equipment is not interfered with; and that no material is stored in any of the fire exit routes or passageways.


In all College buildings, the College is required to maintain a fire protection system and provide fire-fighting equipment. The College is also obliged to maintain the buildings in an inherently fire-safe condition. All residents have an obligation under the Health and Safety laws not to do anything to compromise this inherent level of fire safety.  Part of the fire safety precautions include fire drills each term. One pre-announced fire drill, and one unannounced drill, will take place in Michaelmas Term. During Hilary and Trinity Terms there will be one unannounced fire drill. College members are obliged to participate in evacuating the building in order to familiarise themselves with the most appropriate fire escape routes. 

Any defects in any of the fire precautions, or any other physical aspect of the building, or fire fighting equipment that has been either interfered with or discharged, should be reported to the Lodge so that remedial steps may be taken.

In the event of a fire alarm in any of the buildings being activated, students should immediately exit the building by the nearest fire escape route, and inform the Lodge of what is happening.  If it is apparent that a fire is in progress, dial 999 to notify the Fire Brigade. 

Please note that the use of any naked flame (e.g. candles, incense sticks, etc.) or open burner (e.g. water pipes) is expressly forbidden, as is any refrigeration or cooking appliance within student rooms. The storage of any flammable materials in student accommodation is forbidden.

Please see College Fire Safety Video


The College has a strict non-smoking policy (including electronic cigarettes). This applies to all buildings, including accommodation blocks, houses and individual bedrooms/flats. Smoking may only take place outside, and smokers are urged not to litter the ground with cigarette ends etc. These regulations are UK law as well as College rules, and transgression may result in substantial fines as well as disciplinary action.

Security in Founder’s, Ghassan Shaker and Gateway Buildings

These buildings have been designed with security in mind. 

Access to these accommodation areas is by keypad or proximity access card on a 24 hour a day basis. Means of access – keypad or proximity card – varies from building to building, and the method required for each room will be explained when keys are allocated. Residents should assist the College in ensuring security by reporting any faults on the Access Control System, or any doors that fail to close successfully after use. Bedroom and flat doors are also equipped with either a locking or access card system which, upon closing the door, will automatically lock. Students in rooms with key access can ‘double lock’ the door by making use of the key which will engage the dead bolt.  This dead bolt can be engaged with a manual thumb turn from the inside. 

In the event that a visitor has gained entry to a building without permission, residents can use the viewing aperture in all bedroom and flat doors to identify visitors prior to opening the door. 

All external windows of these buildings have an opening restriction fitted to them. On the ground level this restriction cannot be overridden, thereby reducing the likelihood of intruders climbing through open windows. Residents should not try to force windows on the upper floors wider than the restrictor will allow, as this may cause extensive, and expensive, damage. 

Sufficient ventilation to rooms can be gained by opening windows to the restricted position.  In addition to the window there is a permanent ‘trickle’ vent in the top frame of the window which should be in the open position to aid permanent ventilation of the room. As with all modern buildings, rooms which are not ventilated will have high levels of condensation.

Security in College houses

The College houses, like the Founder’s, Ghassan Shaker and Gateway Buildings, are designed and equipped to be secure.

Residents should assist the College to ensure security by reporting any faults with the main entrance doors, or any other doors that fail to close successfully after use. 

Study bedroom or flat doors are also equipped with a locking system that, upon closing the door, will automatically lock.

All external windows on the ground level and basement levels have opening restrictions fitted to them, thus preventing intruders from climbing through open windows. 

Any missing restriction fittings should be reported urgently at the Lodge.

As part of the security provision, lighting to the main curtilage and around the College buildings is provided.  Any faults in this equipment should be reported.

Walk-in thefts

Members of College are advised that walk-in thefts from College rooms and lodgings are common in Oxford, particularly during Michaelmas term when there are many new faces. Such incidents are uncommon at St Antony’s, but occur from time to time. Often intruders are allowed entry by an unwitting resident; students are warned never to allow access to strangers or people they do not know. 

Once in the building, intruders pick up small portable articles of value such as mobile phones, cameras, loose cash, laptops, watches and sometimes clothing. Thefts should be reported directly to the police, and also to the Lodge, by the person who has suffered the loss.

The main safeguard is for all members of the College to keep their room/flat and house doors locked, to ensure that smaller items are not positioned near to windows where a thief may reach in and take them, and to avoid keeping large amounts of cash in rooms.

Students who feel comfortable about doing so can ask anyone they do not recognise to identify themselves. If they do not wish to do this, or are concerned for their own safety, they should call the police on 999 and also inform the Lodge.

Room insurance

Members of the College occupying College accommodation have the benefit of personal effects insurance cover provided as part of their rent. This covers against fire, flood and theft of personal effects.To learn more about your insurance perks, register with My Endsleigh. Your cover will be automatically confirmed once you select your accommodation provider and complete the registration process.  

Win £100 a week for a year!*

Just register with My Endsleigh to confirm your insurance cover – this will automatically enter you into the prize draw

Should you have individual items of value you may wish to consider making your own arrangements of additional insurance cover for them.

Personal injury insurance is also provided for students taking part in official sports that are sanctioned by the College.

Council tax

Council tax is a local tax for local services based on the estimated value of the property and the number of people living in it. Students living on their own in multiple-occupation College buildings/houses are not liable for the tax.

Those living in flats out of College may be liable if they have a partner who is not a registered student. Students living in houses outside the College may be liable if non-students also share the premises. An enrolment certificate which exempts students from Council tax can be obtained from the Student Self Service section of the University website .

Personalising rooms/flats

Only the noticeboards provided may be used to affix notices, posters etc. Nothing may be attached to the walls of rooms or communal areas: this includes the use of Sellotape, Blu-Tack and other similar products. Repair to any damage to fixtures and fittings within rooms, excluding normal wear and tear, will be charged to students. Any defects should be reported online. Prompt reporting may prevent charges being raised when you finally vacate your accommodation.

TV licence

A television, DVD and video player are available in the Combined Common Room in the Hilda Besse Building. Individual televisions and computers, laptops, tablet devices etc on which live television is watched will require a TV licence which may be purchased at stores with a PayPoint outlet, or online. A leaflet giving details of requirements for TV licensing is placed in all College bedrooms, and all students are advised to familiarise themselves with the regulations and to obtain the appropriate licence where applicable. Enforcement is taken very seriously by the authorities, and failure to obtain a licence can result in a fine of up to £1,000.

Internet access

All study bedrooms within the houses on the main College curtilage, the Founder’s, Ghassan Shaker and Gateway Buildings are provided with wireless internet access for student use. 

Electricity supplies

The electrical supply in the UK is rated at 240 volts AC at 50 Hz.  If students wish to connect equipment bought from overseas, and are unsure whether it will operate successfully and safely on this supply, should contact the Maintenance Department.

Guest accommodation

You may have a guest stay with you in your room for up to 3 consecutive nights at no additional charge with prior permission from the Accommodation office or Domestic Bursar.  Additional nights (if permitted) will be charged at £8.00 per night and this will be added to your College Battels Account. All guests must register at the Lodge on arrival and show their passports if they are not normally resident in the UK, of which a photocopy will be taken. 

In the first instance please contact the Accommodation office to ask for permission to have a guest stay with you. We follow this procedure so that the facilities in the house are not overloaded, which would then have a negative effect on the rest of those residing in houses with shared bathroom and/or kitchen facilities. We also ask guests to complete a Registration Card upon arrival so we are aware of who we have staying on site, for how long they are staying with us, and where for example, in the event of an emergency.

Should your guests require their own room, the College has 2 Guestrooms.  Student members may reserve a Guestroom (subject to availability) for friends or family members.  Please contact the Accommodation office to check for availability in the first instance.

Any Guestrooms reserved must be paid for in advance. This charge cannot be added to your College Battels Account and paid for at a later date. The rate per night for guests is currently from £62.50 plus VAT (a UK business tax) per night for room only.

For more information on College Guestrooms please visit the College website here:

House parties

Members of the College may give parties on their own behalf, in their own rooms, provided that:

  1. they have sent a note to the Dean during the week preceding the party and have notified everyone in the house
  2. not more than 40 people attend in total
  3. the majority of those attending are either members of, or are attached to, the College

Making changes to the accommodation contract

The accommodation contract details the dates of tenancy and the amount of notice required should a student wish to leave. For all queries about making changes to a contract, from extending a lease over the summer, or applying for a room in College in subsequent years, to leaving the accommodation, please contact the Accommodation Office.


The Licence to Occupy is an agreement/contract relating to College Accommodation between the College and individual students; as such, it is non-transferable and the rights of an individual may not be assigned to another person – sub-letting – without written permission from the College Accommodation Office or the Domestic Bursar.

Should a Licensee wish to sub-let their room or flat to another Student Member of College (preferably) or a Student Member of Oxford University (but only if you know and trust this individual), the Licensee should, in the first instance, inform the Accommodation Office and request permission to sub-let with at least five days’ notice of the commencement of the sub-let. Under no circumstances may a room be sub-let to a non-College or Oxford University Student member nor an Alumni or employee of the College or Oxford University.

In order to consider sub-letting your College Accommodation you must currently be residing in your College Accommodation and then have plans to leave for a period of time, and also intend to then return to Campus. Sub-letting should not be something you consider if you wish to delay your arrival or should you wish to vacate your College Accommodation earlier than planned and without fulfilling the 8 week notice period. Under such circumstances please contact the College Accommodation office to find out what your available options are.

Failure to comply with the procedure of notifying and seeking permission from the Accommodation Office or the Domestic Bursar for sub-letting will be dealt with under the College’s Code of Student Discipline.   

It may be that the Accommodation Office is aware of people looking for accommodation, and they may be able to put interested parties in touch. The Accommodation Office would not assist in advertising the room.

Please DO NOT advertise your room as available to online letting sites, for example. If permission is granted and a suitable applicant is found, that person must visit the Accommodation Office, preferably with the original Licensee, and be introduced to the Accommodation Officer or Domestic Bursar, to whom they should provide their personal details.  If they are not normally a UK resident they will also need to show their passport, of which a photocopy will be taken.

It must be clearly understood that, subject to permission being granted, the responsibility for the payment of rent and for keeping the accommodation in good condition remains with the original licensee, including the responsibility to pay for any damage which may occur during the period of the sub-let.

Arrangements between the Licensee and the person sub-letting regarding rental payments is an arrangement strictly between themselves and it is not the concern or responsibility of the College; the ultimate responsibility lying with the original Licensee.

Checking Out Procedure

You are expected to leave your accommodation ready for the next occupant. Failure to do so will lead to charges against your deposit. In flats, particular attention must be paid to the cleaning of the bathroom. WC, refrigerator (which must be emptied of food, defrosted and washed) and cooking utensils. The oven, grill and cooker must all be thoroughly cleaned. All furniture must be moved back to its original position. All breakages must be reported to the Accommodation Office before the hand-over date.